MSWG has a charter under its Memorandum and Articles of Association, which spells out its objectives as follows:
- To become the forum on minority shareholders experiences;
- To become the Think-Tank and Resource Centre for minority interests and corporate governance matters in Malaysia;
- To develop and disseminate the educational aspects of corporate governance;
- To become the platform to initiate collective shareholder activism on unethical or questionable practices made by the management of Public Listed Companies (PLCs);
- To influence the decision-making process in Public Listed Companies as the leader for minority shareholders legislative rights and interests;
- To monitor for breaches and noncompliance in corporate governance practices by Public Listed Companies; and
- To initiate, where appropriate, reports to regulatory authorities and transform MSWG into an effective deterrent of such events or activities that can work against the interests of minority shareholders.
To be a recognised and respected organisation in promoting corporate governance through shareholder activism.
To increase sustainable shareholder value in companies through engagement with relevant stakeholders, with a focus on minority shareholder interests.